Sometimes, we as parents are so busy with our grown up lives that we simply are lost when we are left with our child one on one. Bet you all have experienced this weird moment of silence when you know you should start the conversation, but cant pick a right subject.
Here are some ideas.
- Talk to your child about everything that matters to you.
- Tell your child about your work, about what you love.
- If you like cooking, ask questions, about favorite foods or what did he/she had for lunch.
- If you are fluent in several foreign languages, talk to your child using different language.
- He/she will certainly be interested in everything that interests you. After all, the kids copy everything parents do.
- Let him take all the best that is in you.
- Do not forget to talk to your child about what is interesting him/her. Be sure to watch his favorite cartoons, movies, TV shows together.
- With older children, try to determine what sports he/she likes, what talents he has that you didn’t know about – maybe he dances well, or sing, or can easily remember a long verse.
You will be amazed how many new things you will discover about your child, only if you talk to your child at least once a day!